As we approach the start of Game 1, I wanted to share 10 thoughts that are intriguing to me as the Series starts.
- 1916 – The last time these two historic franchises met in the World Series was in 1916. The Red Sox won the Series behind 16 scoreless innings posted by a player by the name of Babe Ruth. He was later traded and the Red Sox were cursed for more than 80 years.
- Unfinished Business – The Dodgers are back in the World Series for the second year in a row. They are the 28th team to return to lose the World Series and return the next year. 15 of the previous 27 teams won the Series.
- The Managers – Dave Roberts of the Dodgers and Alex Cora of the Red Sox were teammates with the Dodgers from 2001-2004. In 2004, Roberts was traded to the Red Sox and stole a crucial base that is part of the team history. These teams are so intertwined it is not funny.
- The Rightfielders – Mookie Betts is probably the American League MVP. Yasiel Puig has the ability to put together an MVP like performance in any series. It would not surprise me if either of these guys were the difference makers for their teams.
- Kershaw v. Sale – The two left-handers square off in what should be an amazing pitching duel. Kershaw dominated the Brewers to put the Dodgers in the driver\’s seat for NLCS. Sale was dominant and even came out of the bullpen to help the Red Sox dominate the Astros.
- Ryu v. Price – Game 2 features Ryu vs. David Price. We are not sure which one these pitchers will show up. They both have enigmatic personas on the mound. This could be a pitcher\’s duel or it could be a 12-10 game.
- J.D. Martinez – J.D. Martinez killed the Dodgers last season. If he has any help in Arizona last year, he may be making his second appearance in a row in the series. He will have to play the outfield in LA; which will cause someone to be out of position. I have heard they have considered putting Mookie Betts at second base.
- The Center-Fielders and LCS MVP\’s – The centerfielders for both teams happened to be the League Championship Series MVP as well. Both Cody Bellinger and Jackie Bradley, Jr struggled during the season and found their swings when it counted. Both made some amazing defensive plays as well.
- The Two Mannys – While Manny Ramirez is not playing, his connection to both teams cannot be forgotten. Neither can the persona of Manny Machado and his talent and questionable baseball etiquette.
- The Dodger Depth – Here is the list of the dudes for the Dodgers I have not talked about yet.
- Kike Hernandez
- Max Muncy
- Joc Pederson
- Matt Kemp
- Justin Turner
The Prediction – I think the Dodgers pitching, bullpen and depth will be too much for the Red Sox. Dodgers in 6.